Before our kids were born, Drew and I lived in Manhattan and could easily do an all-day brunch of Bloody Mary's and margaritas and mojitos and red wine and maybe some eggs to keep us drinking......But, between kids and cancer we really don't drink anymore. And, we go to bed at 8:00pm. However, cancer sucks and sometimes you just need a vice. My lovely sister, Alexis, is back with a fabulously healthy cocktail that can help you unwind and give you some vitamins to boot.
BETTER-THAN-BEER ELDERFLOWER COCKTAIL
Author: Alexis Holman
- 10 slices cucumber, plus 1-2 extra slices for garnishing your glass
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce St. Germain (or other elderflower liqueur)
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
1. Add cucumber slices to cocktail shaker and muddle very thoroughly.
2. Add lime juice, St-Germain, and vodka.
3. Add ice and shake like a Polaroid picture.
4. Strain into a fancy glass and top with extra cucumber slices.
5. Sip and enjoy – preferably with one pinky up.
Benefits of elderflower: antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, may be effective against hospital pathogens, eg: MRSA http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-elderflower.html
Benefits of cucumber: anti-inflammatory, brain health, anti-cancer properties, antioxidant, breath-freshener, anti-stress, digestive health, weight-management, heart health http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/23/health-benefits-cucumbers.aspx
Benefits of vodka: stress-relief (duh), dilates arteries when consumed in small quantities (cool! who knew?), no added sugar, no carbs https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/vodka.html, http://www.livestrong.com/article/32276-types-hard-alcohol-sugars-carbs/, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080212174615.htm